Sunday, December 4, 2011

Superfoods


Superfoods

First of a two-part series
Each week, I muster the energy to shop for the week’s groceries. It’s never fun. I don’t like to grocery shop. And adding to my dislike is the confusion: What really is best for me to eat? What labels or brands do I trust? I consider myself an informed consumer, and yet still struggle with what to buy. Every sign and label is trying to convince me of the health benefits: low calorie, no trans fats, high in fiber.
Then I stumble upon the dreaded “superfood” labels, touting some sort of health benefits just short of miracles. The foods are often exotic looking, and while a superfood sounds like a great thing to consume, I’m skeptical. I never know if it’s just marketing. So I keep walking.
Superfoods are perplexing for a couple of reasons. One is the marketing involved. The word is slapped on supplements, powders and pills and sold for high prices online with some sort of health claim built in. The whole idea preys on the cultural ideal of quick fixes and promising to bring people to higher levels of health quickly and easily.
---
Read the full article, and others like it at EdgeMagazine.net

No comments:

Post a Comment