Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Healing the Inner Child: Our Life’s Work


Healing the Inner Child: Our Life’s Work

By Eric J. Christopher

I’m aware that “healing the inner child” is not high on the average guy’s to-do list, and probably isn’t a hot-topic among most people. However, whether we know it or not, we all operate from limiting subconscious beliefs that formed during our childhood experiences.

It is possible to discover and unravel what these beliefs are, because they get triggered during times of stress. More accurately, they cause our stress. For instance, underneath anxiety about school might be an early life subconscious belief of, “I must get a good grade” or “I can’t make a mistake.” These mind programs guide our lives behind the scene. Some others might be: “If I open my heart, I’ll get hurt.” “If I speak my truth, I’ll be ridiculed.” “It isn’t safe to share my deepest emotions.” “I’m responsible for other’s feelings.” These are just a few examples of our fear-based subconscious assumptions.

Healing inner child wounds is not only for severe abuse cases, but also for individuals awakening to their mental and emotional programming and conditioning that formed at an early age. It’s a natural part of being human. In fact, becoming aware of our negative belief system lessens stress and enhances our lives. Anais Nin wrote: “We don’t see the world as it is, we see it as we are.”

As children, we are completely dependent on our parents not only for food and shelter, but also a sense of security, love, connection and value. They are like our gods. If there’s disharmony in the home, and a child does not experience these feelings often, they may assume that they are the cause of the problem.
---
Find the rest of the article, and other articles about your inner child online with The Edge Magazine at: http://edgemagazine.net/2011/11/healing-the-inner-child/

No comments:

Post a Comment