Monday, May 21, 2012

An Indifferent Planet


An Indifferent Planet

One autumn afternoon I was driving, feeling somewhat melancholy about the world and the general feeling of indifference in our society. I slowed my car to enjoy a beautiful blazing red maple tree. Across from the tree stood a 10-year-old boy. Seeing me, he lifted his hand to wave hello. I waved back, deeply touched by the simple act. Tears streamed down my face as I drove away. That child’s wave instantly shifted my glum demeanor. The world seemed much less bleak with that simple connection.
If you had the choice of making a positive difference in someone’s day or not making any difference at all, what would you choose?
Most people would say that they would make the positive difference. Who wouldn’t want to brighten someone’s day?
But when we’re not consciously presented with the choice, most of us don’t make a difference — or worse, we negatively impact someone or something else.
...read the full article, and others like it at: http://edgemagazine.net/2012/05/an-indifferent-planet/

No comments:

Post a Comment