Monday, April 9, 2012

Cancer: a Disingenuous Disease: The Dangers of Repressed Emotions


Cancer: a Disingenuous Disease: The Dangers of Repressed Emotions

Second in a series
While educating myself about the traditional medical approach to “fighting” cancer, I also searched within to discover what I knew and felt about the disease. Within a week of my diagnosis, I spoke with Carol Burling, program manager of Pathways Health Crisis Resource Center. Ironically, I had been one of their providers for over two years; now I sought support as a participant. One specific suggestion Carol had was to consider Katherine Pohlman’s Health Coaching sessions.
Katherine helped get my head and heart around the reality of having a cancerous tumor. A discovery I made was cancer’s passive-aggressive nature — it stealthily takes over your immune system, preventing the immune system from identifying cancer cells as unhealthy and dangerous. I saw the parallel between the passive-aggressive nature of cancer and the nature of my personal and professional relationships.
My pride had gotten the best of me. A favorite NeuroLinguistic Programming (NLP) tool of mine is reframing. I believed I could reframe my perspective of others’ manipulative behaviors and still remain healthy and whole.
Wrong.
One must also let go of the anger, pain and loss, or even find a safer, more nurturing environment to live and work in. As Bruce H. Lipton states in his book The Biology of Belief, our environment has a great impact on us. I had allowed others to tell me what I needed to do, how to do it, and who I needed to be. Then when I was successful I was frequently undermined for having succeeded.
---

No comments:

Post a Comment