Saturday, April 14, 2012

Community Building through Collaboration


Community Building through Collaboration

While staying at my friend’s house in California, I overheard her daughter’s friend on the phone saying, “Collaboration is over, Mother!”
I thought, Wow, that’s a big word for a high school junior! And then I thought, Too bad she’s not willing to work with her mom anymore.
I laughed long and hard when I later found out that “Collaboration” was an after-school study hall program that the girls participated in once each week. It had ended about ten minutes before the phone conversation I’d overheard.
The story sticks with me years later not only because of the humorous twist it took in my mind, but also because it reminds me of how much I enjoy collaboration with others. I enjoy the subtle ways we collaborate — with other drivers as we navigate the highways, with friends and colleagues on new ideas and projects and with neighbors to maintain a safe community.
---

No comments:

Post a Comment