Tuesday, May 8, 2012

My Stroke of Insight with Jill Bolte Taylor


My Stroke of Insight with Jill Bolte Taylor

Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor, Ph.D. will share her life-changing experience at the upcoming Celebrate Your Life Chicago
Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor
“It was 7:00 a.m. on December 10, 1996. I sluggishly awoke to a sharp pain piercing my brain directly behind my left eye. Squinting into the early morning light, I clicked off the impending alarm with my right hand and instinctively pressed the palm of my left hand firmly against the side of my face. Rarely ill, I thought how queer it was for me to awaken to such a striking pain. As my left eye pulsed with a slow and deliberate rhythm, I felt bewildered and irritated.”
From her widely acclaimed book My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist’s Personal Journey(Viking Penguin), Jill Bolte Taylor, Ph.D., introduces us to the life-changing event that led to eight years of therapy to completely recover her ability to walk, talk, read and write and recall her life. And since her recovery from a life-threatening stroke in the left hemisphere of her brain, this Harvard-trained and published neuroanatomist has recommitted her life to helping survivors of stroke and inspiring all of us to to be more conscious about our brains and make life choices that support this incredible organ. She also is the national spokesperson for the Harvard Brain Tissue Resource Center and educates the public about the shortage of brain tissue donated for research of severe mental illness.
Her story became a viral sensation in 2008 when her presentation at the TED Conference (Technology, Entertainment, Design, focused on “ideas worth spreading,”) went online, and she became a premiere guest on Oprah’s Soul Series webcast. She was named one of Time magazine’s 100 Most Influential People in the World in 2008, and her book is currently being translated into a major feature film, with Ron Howard directing, and Howard and his Imagine partner Brian Grazer producing.
Dr. Taylor will be one of four keynote lecturers at the Celebrate Your Life conference in Chicago from June 8-11, an event designed to help you transform your life from the inside out.
She spoke by phone from her office in Bloomington, Indiana, with The Edge about her upcoming talk in Chicago and the incredible insight she received as a result of her experience with stroke.
...find the full article, and others like it at: http://edgemagazine.net/2012/05/my-stroke-of-insight/

No comments:

Post a Comment